Experimentation of Taste

A food blog that catalogs discovery of foods available through CSA Farms Shares and other arenas and the recipes to enhance the flavors.

12.29.2006

Sugar High Friday #26: Spooky Sugar Art

Tabblo: SHF #26: Spooky Sugar Art

I was so bewildered with this month's theme of Sugar Art proposed by host Habeas Brulee. I went to art school and I cook but my skills are mainly with bread and yarn not sugar. Right before Christmas I was talking with my Halloween loving friend and the idea came to me; I had been meaning to make her these cool cookies. I had even gotten as far as buying special cookie cutters.

These cookies are a lovely chocolate flavor with a crisp texture. They are basically Chocolate Sugar Cookies.  I mixed up a coffee flavored icing based on my friends fav chocolate combos.

Spooky Cookies


Everyday Food October 2006

  • 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
  • 3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 12 T (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • sprinkles
  • icing (recipe below)

  1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg. On low speed, mix in flour mixture. Divide dough in half, and form into 2 disks, each about 3/4 inch thick. Wrap disks in plastic; chill until firm, at least 45 minutes and up to 2 days.
  3. On a lightly floured sheet of waxed paper, using a floured rolling pin, roll dough 1/4 inch thick. (If dough becomes too soft to work with, refrigerate for a few minutes.)
  4. Using 2- to 3-inch Halloween cookie cutters, cut out shapes, dipping cutters in flour as necessary to prevent sticking; place on a baking sheet, spacing them 1 inch apart.
  5. Bake until surface is dry to the touch, 10 to 15 minutes (if decorating, press candies into dough halfway through baking). Cool cookies 1 to 2 minutes on baking sheet; transfer to a rack to cool completely. Serve, or store in an airtight container up to 3 days.


No-Fuss Icing

Cook's Country Charter Issue 2005
  • 2 T milk
  • 1 c confectioners' sugar
  • food coloring (optional)
  • 2-3 drops flavored extract (optional) - I used coffee


With small wisk, combine milk and sugar in small bowl to make soft, smooth icing.  Stir in optional ingredients.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these. I'm so glad you went ahead and made them for SHF.

12/30/2006 7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are adorable! Nothing like Halloween cookies, my favorite!

1/03/2007 6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I love my cookies!!!

1/16/2007 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home