Experimentation of Taste

A food blog that catalogs discovery of foods available through CSA Farms Shares and other arenas and the recipes to enhance the flavors.

2.05.2007

WCC 13: your newest cookbook

Tabblo: Breakfast with Churchable


My cookbook challenge comes from a Christmas present I received this week. I didn’t put off buying presents. As a matter of fact, I did my shopping early to no avail. At least I got a cookbook out of it!

I ordered my last Christmas present from Amazon before the month of December even started. My self-congratulating was short lived. A week after making the order my husband got an email stating that it would be late. That’s usually no big deal – except the present was for him. We had a good Christmas and he liked the present I got him.

For some reason the book ordered in November was returned to Amazon in December without ever arriving here. I patiently assumed I would get credit for it. In that time my husband decided that he didn’t want a book of 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. He wanted some actual music to play in our house. After lots of confusion, we finally ordered a little over a week ago. He got his CD, and bought me a CD too. Then there was that dreadful Amazon conspiracy – Super Saver shipping. And what better excuse to get a book on interesting socks. And of course I needed a cookbook. I had already picked out something to cook for Sara’s Weekend Cookbook Challenge, but this book came and I had to cook from it.

I originally read a review on Slashfood. It was the cookbook that started my wish list. Now after much searching for a link, I know it was slashfood but I feel like I am losing it.

So the book I got was The Big Book of Breakfast by Maryana Vollstedt. I love breakfast. This book is really good too. There are recipes on Beverages, Egg Cookery, Omelets, Frittatas, Quiches, Stratas, Casseroles, Sandwiches, Skillet Entrees, French Toast (yum!), Pancakes, Crepes and Blintzes, Waffles, Meats, Potatoes, Grains and Cereals, Breads and Cakes, and Fruit.

As I perused the book, I thought about the next morning’s breakfast with my husband. We used to be able to have breakfast at least 3 times a week together. My husband had a 8-day work week that had him off 4 days. Now he works days. I guess it is nice to have him home every night but I think I see less of him now and I miss breakfasts with him. I was glad we could have a lazy morning that included breakfast.

I have to admit I love breakfast but hate cooking it. I could make it for dinner or lunch but I really don’t like cooking breakfast. I have a problem with eggs. I love to eat them but I prefer not to cook them. To me it is just as easy to grab a bowl of cereal.

I decided that I wanted to have Ham and Tomato Benedict and Broiled Grapefruit. Wow was this yummy. My only mistake was that I hate pulling out the big blender and I did not grab the correct attachment for the immersion blender. I should have done one of these things so that the hollandaise sauce was emulsified.

Ham and Tomato Benedict

Serves 4

Assemble the ingredients, 2 English muffin halves per plate. Layer ham (about a slice of deli ham), tomato slice, and a poached egg on each muffin half, and top with the sauce. Serve with avocado slices and olives.

Hollandaise Sauce

• 4 egg yolks
• 3 T lemon juice
• 1 T water
• ¼ t salt
• dash of cayenne pepper
• 1 cup of butter (The real stuff, don’t substitute), melted

1. In a small, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, combine yolks, lemon juice, water, salt and cayenne.
2. Whisk constantly until mixture bubbles and begins to thicken, 2-3 minutes.
3. Scrape mixture into blender. Add butter in a slow, steady stream and blend until all the butter is used and sauce is thickened, about 30 min. (I think you could use the milkshake glass that comes with your immersion blender for the same result)

Broiled Grapefruit

• 1 grapefruit, cut in half
• brown sugar
• cinnamon

Heat Broiler; place each half on a heavy baking sheet. Sprinkle the flesh with brown sugar and cinnamon. Place in the broiler for 5 min and serve immediately when done.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home