Experimentation of Taste

A food blog that catalogs discovery of foods available through CSA Farms Shares and other arenas and the recipes to enhance the flavors.

11.05.2006

WHB: Easy Ways to incorporate squash into your daily meals


Tabblo: WHB: Fries and Biscuits


Last week, I shared with ya'll all basic preparation and uses of squash.  Since squash has more nutrition in it than potatoes or basic bread I want to shares some recipes that substitute squash in ways that are both tasty and healthier for you.  These recipes are an excellent way to introduce kids (or adult skeptics) to squash in an enjoyable way. There are most likely some other seasonal treats over at Kayln's Kitchen for Weekend Herb Blogging that might entice some veggie haters to try something.

The first recipe is a substitute for French fries.  Personally, I can't wait when our regional fast food chain gets pumping out sweet potato fries and pumpkin shakes.  Burgerville is priced above the average fast food, so I only go there for this seasonal treat. Remodeling the house and buying into the CSA farm share made the budget a bit tighter this year and, by making my own squash fries and pumpkin milkshakes at home, I staved off the cravings a bit.  Adding a hamburger makes this an all-American fall dinner. Oh so good and tasty!

Winter Squash Fries

  • 1 squash of your choice - Butternut or delicate make for easier fry shaping (medium will serve 2-3 people)
  • Olive oil
  • 1/2 t ground cumin
  • salt and pepper

  1. Preheat oven to 425 F.  Cut, deseed, peel and cut the squash into 1/2 inch sticks.
  2. On a baking sheet without any nonstick, just your good old metal version; toss together the cumin, salt, and pepper with enough oil to coat the fries.  If they are not well coated they may burn and cook less evenly.  Spread  into a single layer.
  3. Roast till fork tender and a little floppy.  45 min to an hour.  Watch carefully.  If you cut these uneven, you may need to remove the fries that finish before the others.
  4. You can enhance the flavors with cilantro and/or lime juice.


What else would this southern girl want?  Another favorite - Squash biscuits!  If you didn't know that I was from the south, don't worry.  My husband has a tough time keeping track as well. I have lived many places and I'm pleased to call the Northwest home now.  Some Southern comfort food goes a long way, however, in helping me stick out the rainy season.  Squash always brightens up a dull day and when you serve something as yummy as country fried chicken with cheesy mash potatoes.  These orange biscuits will match the décor and please some picky eaters.  Since I can't seem to find a biscuit cutter that I really like, I make these cute 1-inch biscuit dots.

Squash Biscuits

  • 1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 2 T light-brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1 t salt
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 6 T chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 3/4 c chilled squash puree (see recipe)
  • 1/3 c buttermilk or 1 t of white vinegar and milk to fill the 1/3 c

1. In large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal, with some pea size lumps of butter remaining.  In a small bowl, whisk together squash and buttermilk; stir quickly into flour until just combined.
2. Knead dough on a lightly floured board or surface until dough just comes together but is still lumpy.  Shape into a disk about 1 inch thick.  With a floured biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits as close together as possible.  Gather scraps and repeat.  The dough does not hold together after the first repeat.  You can squash (pun intended) the remainder into a biscuit lump for an extra ugly duckling.
3. Preheat oven to 425 F with rack on lower shelf.  Butter a cake pan.  Place the biscuits snugly into the pan or they will become deformed during cooking.  Optional - brush melted butter on the tops.  Bake until golden about 20-24 minutes.
4. Serve with butter and eat heartily!

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I only have pumpkin in my garden - but rather a lot of it. (I don't count the acorn squash - we eat those too fast to do any preserving) I hope to do a trade with a neighbor that only has butternut squash. I can always use more recipes....thanks..

11/05/2006 1:42 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

What a great post. I love the sound of the "fries" made with butternut squash. Of course, I love everything made with butternut squash. I do like them all, but butternut is my very favorite.

11/05/2006 6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to try these biscuits right away. The recipe looks awesome. Thanks.

11/06/2006 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home