Spicy Steak Soft Tacos, Salsa and Lemonade
I saw this recipe in Cook's Country almost a year ago when I received the June/July issue. It was the perfect end to a day filled with Seafood. We had spent the morning at the Astoria Crab & Seafood Festival. The tacos had just the right amount of spicy and was countered by the tart fresh lemonade.
I had most of the ingredient in the house except the jalapeño chilies for the rub. The meat came from an organic grass fed cow. We have been enjoying the portion that we recived in January. It seems we are coming to the end.
Since we needed to go to the store to purchase extra tortillas and fresh salsa, I decided to make the lemonade recipe that was next to the taco recipe. I loved how perfectly tart the lemonade was.
Steak Soft Tacos
Cook's Country June/July 2006
Serve with shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream, pickled jalapenos and salsa verde.
- 1 flank steak (about 1 1/2 lbs), sliced thin - 1/4 in thick pieces
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 1/2 t cumin
- 1 t coriander
- 3/4 t salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 scallions, green parts cut into 1 in lengths, white parts cut in half lengthwise
- 1-2 jalapeño chilies, minced
- 4 t vegetable oil
- 1/2 c canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 c water
- 2 t brown sugar
- 1 T lime juice
- 12 (8-in) flour tortillas, warmed
- Place sliced steak in large bowl and sprinkle evenly with chili powder, cumin, coriander, and salt. Add garlic, scallions, and chiles and toss to combine. (Steak mixture can be refrigerated for up to 2 hours.)
- Heat 2 t oil in large skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add half of the steak mixture and cook, turning slices once, until just browned, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to bowl. Repeat with remaining oil and steak and transfer to bowl.
- Off heat, add tomato sauce, water, brown sugar, and lime juice to skillet, scraping up any browned bits with wooden spoon. Meanwhile, use slotted spoon to transfer browned steak mixture to cutting board, leaving accumulated juices in bowl. Chop steak into rough 1 in pieces.
- Add reserved juices to skillet and cook until reduced by half, about 6-10 min over medium heat. Return steak to skillet and cook until meat is glazed and just cooked through, about 2 min. Divide among tortillas. Serve.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 (11 oz) can of tomatillos, drained
- 1/2 onion, chopped rough
- 1-2 jalapeño chiles, chopped rough
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 c packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 t salt
Store the lemonade in a covered container in the refridgerator for up to 3 days.
- 1 large lemon, slice thin ends discarded
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 7 cups cold water
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice (from about 12 lemons)
- ice (for serving)